And it came to pass

This is the story of our family (the Ad-Kat Clan). The ups, the downs, the downright crazy.

February 17, 2011

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck just opened a store?

The answer is none. That is also the answer to how many dishes I have done, how many time's I've cleaned the bathroom, and how many loads of laundry I've run.

I have talked to a few people, like my mom and mother in law, about how packed my days have been for over a month now. Almost two actually. In December there was the whole holiday thing and then Adam and I moved to a new apartment. That will take up your time, let me tell you. I had to not only move everything but then find a place for all the things I moved. There is a second bedroom but it doesn't help when there is no kitchen storage.

As for the store, well, let's just say that it has been a LOT more time consuming and headache causing then I ever thought possible. It sounds so simple. Just get stuff and sell it for more than you paid for it, right? That shouldn't be hard. Especially since we don't mark up nearly as high as Victoria's Secret, The Blue Boutique, and Dr. John's (the last two are within ten miles of our store). Oh, you mean no one told you about hiring employees, taxes, water leakage, City code, installment fees, taxes, advertising, printing costs, franchise owners who think you're incompetent, finding out later that you could have paid three hundred instead of three grand for the window displays, and taxes? Go figure.

Our biggest concern right now is advertising. We expected to do poorly the first little while anyway so no one really complained when we made about $100 a day for the first week. Then Valentine's came. We had really high hopes for Valentine's all to be crushed when we made just enough to cover our metaphoric bums. The last few days have been really bad. And when I say really bad I mean zero dollar days. So, we are trying everything we can think of to get our name out there and increase our client base. Tell your friends! Even if you live far away we can ship things to you. We will even throw in free shipping over a certain price or something. I'll make you a deal you can't refuse as long as you BUY SOMETHING! Far too many people come in "just browsing" and then leave empty handed (or worse, with something and not paying. We suspect that may have happened once). A lot of the time I can tell that walk-outs were looking for something specific that we don't carry. Some people ask for things and, having been brought up as a good LDS girl, I have no idea what they are talking about. I now know what "light-sabers" are. And yes, we actually have those. No, we don't carry toys. Yes, everything we sell is in the front room. No, we don't have male supplements. Yes, this is it. No, we can't sell your (insert crazy, weird, and sometimes alarming) product here.

Well, I'll keep you updated (hopefully more frequently) as things hopefully get better. If I call you crying I either just went over finances or I'm having Braxton Hicks contractions. Either way, I'll be fine. Tune in for our next episode where I will uncover the truth about pregnancy. At least mine. Later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment