And it came to pass

This is the story of our family (the Ad-Kat Clan). The ups, the downs, the downright crazy.

February 24, 2010

Entitlement and why it is no good

Okay, this last week has been very up and down. I think I'm gonna go day by day and give you a short glimpse into my life and then tell you all the things I've learned. Here we go.

Wednesday (after last blog): Honestly, I don't remember. I remember that as I was writing it I thought about adding what I was going to do that afternoon but now I don't know what it was. So, skipping that and moving on.

Thursday: That morning Adam got up and felt really badly. His tonsils were all swollen and he had a bad cough. He decided it would be best to stay home from work and see a doctor. One problem, we don't have our insurance worked out yet. No coverage. Well we go to the Intermountain Health Care Instant Care Clinic and pay $200 some odd moneys to have the doctor tell him that it's just a bad cold and that he needs to take an antihistamine and a decongestant and maybe some Ibuprofen for the swelling. Now go home and rest for five or six days. That cost a lot for advice that I could have told him. Adam is not used to being sick. He claims that going to public school boosted his immune system by exposing him to everything. Well now he doesn't know how to be sick. So we spent the afternoon running errands and cleaning things

Friday: totally The Highlight of the Week! my cousin Kent got married to the greatest girl, Kaylee. Yeah, way fun. We got to go to the sealing and to the luncheon and to the reception. Which means it was an all day event for us. We spent some time at my Aunt Cindi's house with Matt, Rachel, and Heather. Heather is like our favorite single person ever. Okay, so later we found out that my Aunt thinks that Adam looks like the devil because of his beard. Bwahaha!

Saturday: Adam stayed home from work again because he was still not feeling better. Having spent the whole previous day running around we were both pretty tired. We did mostly nothing. Adam gets really bad cabin fever and then I start singing, "Cabin fever has grabbed us all aboard. This once proud vessel has become a floating psycho ward. We were sailing, sailing heaven who knows where, and now though we're all here...we're not all there!" And we still did nothing.

Sunday: Adam didn't get up (because he was on antihistamines) and so I didn't get up and because church starts at 8:00am we missed church. I felt so horrible about it. I still feel horrible about it. We got up with just enough time to make it to the second half of the last meeting so we just skipped it. That night we made homemade pizza and had Matt and Rachel over. It was a great party. I love to make food and have other people eat it. Ask any of my family. That's what I do. Sometimes I get carried away and Adam has to remind me that it's just food.

Monday: I played The Sims 2 ALL DAY. I accomplished nothing at all. It was a long day and I did nothing. Seriously nothing. Crap. Not my best day.

Tuesday: Adam and I decided we were ready for a change and so we completely rearranged our apartment. It has been a great feeling going through and getting rid of things and then putting the rest away. That was the big project of the week. I was a little hesitant to lose my "dining room" but now we have a "library" so it's all good. Every and anyone should come over and see it (I'll feed you).

Wednesday: today Adam decided to take the day off to get a hold on his life again. We cleaned everything and we made a shopping list. We also called all those people we have been needing to call and pulled together our laundry. We are currently at Grandma Ann and Grandpa Henry's house to do laundry and then later Adam will go to school. Yep. That's today.


So, the long and the short of it is that I have found that when I do something good in a day I then assume that I am entitled to a break. It sounds good right? You work hard and then you get to sit back and enjoy your hard work. ABSOLUTELY NOT! That is not what life is about! If you do what you are supposed to do you are promised only one thing ...help to do more. Too often I spend the day doing nothing because I think I deserve a "day off" because I did things before. Life is life. The joy and the Celestial lifestyle don't just happen when you reach heaven. THIS is the joy and Celestial lifestyle. If you want a Celestial family then BE a Celestial family. That's the whole reason we are here. What do you get for your hard work? The opportunity to do more, learn more, and be more! There are times to be still, to listen carefully, and to take a look at your life. I am not saying that life needs to be constantly rushed, but that to assume that you deserve a break from life is absurd.

This is my new view on life. I hope it lasts for more than a few days. I love my life, my husband, my families, and my God. I'm going to try again to have an upbeat attitude. Wish me luck.

Kathryn

2 comments:

  1. Yes, exactly! We're programmed to think that if we do A, then we get B, as if B is all we need and when we get it, we're somehow "done." It reminds me of a comment in a Sunday School class years ago, by a father in his late twenties, saying he was looking forward to the kids growing up because he didn't like all the work and attention that it took to raise them. I was thinking, "So why do you want eternity as a Father then? Don't you realize what you signed up for? Are you trying to "endure to the end" so that then you don't HAVE TO live like this? Living like this IS the reward, and we don't get a break or day off or vacation from it. (Why would we want a vacation from joy?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Mom, you are brilliant. And Kat, I totally agree. I often do the same thing. I'm glad that you are my sister, so I can eat your food and learn from all your wonderful insights.

    ReplyDelete