And it came to pass

This is the story of our family (the Ad-Kat Clan). The ups, the downs, the downright crazy.

March 18, 2010

I had to wait to post until I got the pictures :)

So. This week. Crazy. The biggest thing that happened definitely happened on Saturday but first I have to tell you about Friday.

Friday morning I dropped Adam off at UVU at about 8:50 and was on my way to Grandma Ann's to do laundry when the engine started to emit steam from under the hood. I thought it was smoke and that I had killed the car. I was so scared. I got to Grandma's and I prayed that someone was home. Well, Heather was and the two of us called everyone we could think of. No one answered so we sat and waited. The engine stopped smoking by 10:30-ish and then my Dad called from Delaware and was trying to help me figure out what the heck was going on. It made me feel so much better that he knew at least what kinds of things to check. I knew to check the oil and the coolant level but other then that I was lost. I didn't even know where anything was. I finally figured out where the battery and the engine were and then with my Dad's help ruled out a lot of other things it could be. Then my cousin Kent Jr. came home (he lives in the basement apartment) and he was able to at lest figure out that it was the coolant. Adam got out of school and Heather picked him up and brought him to Grandma's. We washed off the spilled coolant and decided to go home. We stopped at Walmart and got some groceries and then the steam came back. So we went really fast to the Big-O at the University Mall and they took a look at it. I had to call my brother Matt to pick me up and take me and the milk home. I sat at home and waited until Adam came home with the car. It turns out that one of the coolant hoses had burst and so it spilled all over the outside of the engine and it was not cooling the inside. The thermostat had melted and was no longer working. They were able to replace the hose and thermostat for about $150, but they also said that we had a rod in the engine loose and that we shouldn't drive the car very far without fixing that. It would cost about $1,000. So we were pretty discouraged that night when we went to bed.

So, Saturday. Adam goes to work and Heather comes over to visit me. I mention that we were thinking about getting a new car and she says, "Hey, lets look on-line." So we go on-line and find some used 2008/2009 Ford cars that I think Adam would like. So I call him up and we decide to stop at the local Brent Brown and see what they have. We walk in and are immediately handed keys to a gray 2008 Ford Focus. We take it for a drive and we both love it. When we got back the agent was trying very hard to convince us that this was the best and only car for us. I did like it, but I know Adam to be an impulse buyer and I didn't want to buy anything that night. We got great financing and we were offered $1,600 for the Mustang as a trade in, but I was still really scared to spend that much money without sleeping on it. Adam and Pete (the agent) went to look at the Mustang and I was inside trying to figure out what I was going to do and praying as i have not prayed since I got married and the Lord gently shook me and said, "Kathryn, trust your husband. He has been given charge over this family and with it he is given inspiration in how to care for it." And I said okay. So Highlight of the Week, New gray 2008 Ford Fusion! (We named him George).


Adam had Monday off and we went everywhere. We went up to Midway and took pictures, saw a Bald Eagle and then came back and took Kent Jr. and his wife Kaylee out to dinner. We even got to go to the Provo Rec Center and swim in the pool. Tuesday Adam went to work and school and I got to hang with Heather again. Wednesday we had off as well so we kept going out and about. We saw lots of movies and decided that it is nice to have fun once in a while.

So yeah, crazy. Good, but crazy. Sorry this is late. Check back tomorrow for the next installment of Kathryn's crazy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment